I read a quote from NY designer Peri Wolfman the other day that “Staying organized is like gardening. You’re constantly weeding; it’s part of the routine.” I am not a gardener. I have friends for whom digging in the dirt is a form of meditation.
For me, organizing is meditative so Wolfman’s quote fit. I find a tough week can fall away as I organize and straighten up my desk. Rearranging furniture is my own personal therapy session. I realize that this sense of control over the objects in my life is not the same as actually having control over my life. But when my world is spinning around me and I am feeling dazed, settling the objects surrounding me calms me, leaving a sense of peace. Anais Nin wrote “When I cannot bear outer pressures anymore, I begin to put order in my belongings…As if unable to organize and control my life. I seek to exert this on the world of objects.” Oh how I understand this much needed sense of grounding.
So as I head into this long weekend I plan to get things organized and find time to paint so when I return to work on Tuesday I will be refreshed, ready to send out yearend reports.
I think this song “Free My Mind” by Katie Herzig may have to be some theme music to get me going. I thought it should be a runway beat choice. So perhaps I will call it Runway Beat #3b. Besides she is wearing a fun runway worthy dress in the video. Make sure to check it out.
Weekend Reading List:
- The Secret Path to Finding Freedom from Our Attachments ~ A Flourishing Life
- Stop…Be Still ~ A Flourishing Life
- How to write like a Professional ~ Dumb Little Man
- Tony Bennett’s Nude Lady Gaga Sketch Auctioned for $30,000 ~ Vanity Fair
- A Design Manifesto ~ Annching Wang
- It’s time for a financial tune-up ~Wowowow
- Red Dress Blue Dress ~ Danielle Meder