Today many countries around the world are celebrating the Ephiphany, Three King’s Day or Twelth Night. January 6th marks the offical end to the season’s “Twelve Days of Christmas” (December 25th- January 6th) and the start of Carnival culminating at Mardi Gras. The Epiphany or “revelation” brings with it the promise of renewal and manifestation. It is a celebration of the arrival of the Magi (three Kings) who followed the star to Bethlehem bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and Myrrh to honor the Christ Child and of his baptism by St John.
Many will be partaking of King’s Cake or Gallette des Rois. Traditonally each Galette des Rois comes with its own paper crown and inside one fava bean or figurine of some kind. According to tradition, the oldest cuts the cake, and the youngest sits under the table and designates to whom each piece goes. Whoever gets the bean is designated King or Queen for the day and gets to wear the paper crown.
Will you be King or Queen today?
Whatever your plans I hope you have a lovely weekend. As usual here is the weekend reading list. See you Monday.
Weekend Reading List:
- 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn ~ Chase Jarvis
- What Are You Devoted To? ~ A Flourishing Life
- Six Ways to Become More Self-Motivated ~ Dumb Little man
- 30 Books I’m Glad I Read Before 30 ~ Marc and Angel Hack Life
- Speaking of Truth & Friendship ~ The Daily Love
- First Seek Self Approval ~ The Simply Luxurious Life
- The Whole Story: Thoughts Inspired by “50/50” ~ See Emily Play
- The Year in Fashion ~ New York Times
- Why 2012 Will be the Year of the Artist-Entrepreneur ~ Gigaom
Blog: An Afternoon With~ It is a visual (photographic) interview of creative individuals.
You must be logged in to post a comment.